Have you heard of Careem? Wait, neither did I misspell your favorite restaurant nor did I do that to India’s favorite board game. It’s a great company doing great things, and one you should know about.
Careem is a Dubai based ride-hailing app, often referred to as “Uber’s Middle Eastern rival”. Ooh, exciting! Together with the typical startup mission of world domination, and ambitions of changing the course of humanity, Careem also has a purpose: to simplify people’s lives. That’s something we can jump on board with, for sure! Their bold approach and great sense of humour really piqued our interest, and so here are 5 things you never knew about the company:
- Founded by former McKinsey consultants Mudassir Sheikha and Magnus Olson in 2012, Careem now has a presence in over 50 cities in 11 countries around the Middle East, Asia and Africa. They are redefining the chauffer-driven cab experience and have been the constant favorites of their customers.
- It was declared the fastest growing startup in Entrepreneur Middle East’s 2015 Enterprise Agility Awards. Since its launch, Careem has rapidly established itself as the region’s favorite car booking app. With 30% growth month-on-month Careem is indeed pacing swiftly. It has over 6 million users spread far and wide already.
- Starting from a seed funding of 1.7 M USD, Careem has successfully raised a funding of over 420M USD till date. The latest one being the $350 M Investment led by Rakuten, which pushed them into the Unicorn sphere (they prefer ‘Unicamel’).
- Careem has multiple research and development center across Europe and Asia that employs 100+ engineers who are innovating the future of the transportation industry. For a company that is looking to launch the region’s first driverless pods for public transit, one can only imagine the great things that can come from them
- Careem takes booking a ride to a whole new level with regards to comfort and personalization. It has a variety of different types of travel to suit your comfort and method of payment (they accept cash and credit)
“We are all partners in this venture” is what the founders believe and invest in. A company that focuses on customers, Captains (yes, their drivers are even called Captains) and their colleagues, is bound to climb the ladder of success and affection.
I bet you’ve enjoyed reading about Careeem as much as I did while writing it. Nevertheless, you can thank me later for introducing you to this amazing company. You can check them out on their website http://careem.com/
Sound exciting? No? How about a job offer at their Berlin & Dubai offices? The Careem Hackathon in Bangalore will award lucky winners with a lucrative job offer for Berlin & Dubai. Need to know where to register? Go here today: vsity.in/HACAREEM
Have a great week folks!