It’s all about learning and building a network. That’s why many developers attend hackathons. But if you don’t have time for one, or you just want a flavor of what it’s like, you could do no better than to attend one of our learnups.
You know what a learnup is (if you don’t, take a look here). You know how it works. But now, you might ask yourself the big why question: why should you attend one?
Here is a list of reasons why:
1. Networking. At learnups, you network and interact with your peers and industry mentors. You engage with the community and grow your network. (It’s a good idea to bring your business cards with you!)
2. Peer learning. The primary goal of a learnup is to, wait for it, learn. You work on industry related problems with guidance from our mentors. The peer feedback session is a great learning experience.
In this session, you present your ideas and get feedback from your peers. You also give feedback of your own. (The benefits of peer learning are well understood. Don’t believe me? Take a look here.)
3. Working on interesting problems. At learnups, you get to work on interesting problems. The problems are not as intensive as the ones you solve in hackathons. But you do get a flavor of the kinds of problems you will tackle at the workplace (or at a hackathon if you want to attend one!).
4. Showcase yourself. The products and/or strategies that you build at a learnup will be showcased on our platform. Our hiring partners will take a look and get back to you if they like what you did!
5. Introduction to new companies and industries. Many learnups are sponsored by companies looking to connect with great talent like you. These companies work on interesting ideas and attempt to solve real pain points. Maybe you will fall in love with an idea and find your dream company!
So there you have it. Going to a learn up is a great way to meet and learn from like-minded people. It is not as time-consuming as attending a hackathon. And you get much of the same benefits. After all, they do say good things come in small packages.
Interested in going to a learnup? Check out our web page for a learnups near you. We hope to see you there.