Growth Aspirant to becoming a Growth Hacker – The New VP of Marketing?
Since Sean Ellis (Qualaroo, Dropbox, LogMeIn, Xobni) coined the term in 2010, it has been used and over-used.
What Career Option for Growth Hackers?
The path is evolving from an online marketing expert where the objective was primarily being visible to using more sophisticated tools to — acquire, engage and retain. For example, search engine optimization (SEO) is considered the holy grail by online marketing experts (and still very important to a growth hacker) but growth hacker has more tools at their disposal.
Research by iMedia showed 93% of B2B buyers use search to begin the buying process and 37% post questions on social networking sites when looking for suggestions. Although, search is important, other tools are growing and must be considered. Growth hacker uses these tool and leads their efforts to acquire, engage and retain customers.
If you are considering a career as a growth hacker, the evolution is from being an aspirant, up skilling yourself to become a rookie and then get to the winners circle and become a Growth Hacker.
Growth Aspirant – Desire to learn
- Interest in marketing and some background on coding helps
- Does not need to be an engineer but must have some technical inclination
- Creative bent with analytical mind
Growth Rookie – Associate
Understanding and practice includes –
- A/B tests, landing pages, and analytics – Quantitative measurement, scenario modeling and database queries
- Viral factor
- Email deliverability for reinforcement
- Using APIs, Open Graph
- Paid search vs organic
- Thinking outside the box – using user-centered techniques.
- Basic content marketing strategies – beyond blogs to using sites like Pinterest, Quora etc.
- Good understanding of search engine optimzation (SEO) and related tools
Growth Hacker – VP of Marketing
- Deep understanding of all the tools and effective usage
- Being economical – user growth and spending proportion should be inversely proportional
- 10K new users with single posts
- Viral acquisition – growing audience growth by 20% month-over-month (new product
- Zero to millions of users in few years
Become part of the winners circle – *(source: Quora)
- Sean Ellis (Eventbrite, Dropbox, Xobni, Catchfree) – Originally coined the term
- Noah Kagan (AppSumo, Mint, Facebook) – @noahkagan
- David King (Blip.me, ex-Lil Green Patch) – @deekay
- Mike Greenfield (Circle of Moms, ex LinkedIn) – @mike_greenfield
- Ivan Kirigin (Dropbox, ex-Facebook)
If you are interested in starting your career as a Growth Hacker, check Growth Hacking Course.