“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn” such great words of wisdom by Benjamin Franklin. The methodology of learning by doing is by far the best-proven technique to shape up a person. When we’re in college we drown into the books to pass our semesters, mug up the observations and calculations to pass the practical. But we need to take a step back and question ourselves. Is this education system enhancing our capabilities or transforming us into programmed robots? After graduation, you’re expected to compete with the ruthless world outside the college gates. But are we prepared enough?
There’s a vent, a magical window that shows us a glimpse of the real world. You need to strive hard to reach and look through it carefully. If seen properly it shows you the way. The way to a great future! It’s called a ‘fellowship’. They are an important building block in a student’s life. Fellowships typically take place between semesters or shortly after graduation and can be a paid or an unpaid one. A summer fellowship is the best way to test drive a career without making any serious commitments. It gives you a chance to see what it would really be like to work in a particular industry and whether you’re a great fit. At the end of it, you have some great takeaways and lessons for a lifetime.
- Enhance your skill stack: One of the best things about a fellowship is that it helps you enrich your industry related skills and learn new things. You would have a complete hands-on experience of working in a particular sector. You’ll spend time honing your preexisting and newly acquired skills to be ‘deploy ready’ in the practical sense.
- Impressive resume: A great fellowship is like a medallion on your resume that catches the eye. Often recruiters look out for a relevant industry experience in a resume. The project, the depth of your involvement and your knowledge about the work makes you a star in front of him.
- Recommendations and job offer: If you did a splendid job and made a great impression on your manager and colleagues, you’ll have no trouble coming up with recommendations. A recommendation is yet again a star on your profile and if you play your cards right, you may land up with a big fat job in the company. Work tight, stay right and make your future bright.
- Networking: You meet new people, work alongside great industry professionals. Imagine the scope of knowledge you can amass in an fellowship. You’re still in college while you know a General Manager of a huge enterprise. You can leverage the network within the organization to make new and higher connects to secure a job.
- Professionalism and Independence: Nothing is sweeter than the fruits of your labor. No matter how small your paycheck is, the first salary gives a happiness for a lifetime. You become more responsible, realize the value of money and when you’re interning in a distant city, you actually ‘Grow up!’. You’ll be working in a professional environment with hands-on navigation through the work and culture. After the fellowship, you will surely evolve as a professional.
- Confidence and career direction: You become more confident and professional towards your chosen industry and make your career plans better. As unfortunate as it may sound but you might also get out of a fellowship realizing that the domain may not be your field of interest. It better to realize this sooner than be suffering later. You can then concentrate your energy and attention towards a different direction. In both cases, it makes you a stronger and a focused person to set your priorities in order.
Excited to kick-off 2017, we at Venturesity bring to you the first-ever Summer Fellowship program by Blume Ventures, called the Blume Fellowship. Want to know more? Check out the details here.